Holistic medicine is an umbrella term for a range of healing approaches that emphasize the importance of addressing the whole person, a holistic perspective.
Holistic medicine incorporates various modalities and practices such as nutrition, natural medicines, mind-body medicine, and relaxation techniques to restore balance and harmony in the body. It offers an integrated approach to health because it treats the causes of disease rather than just its symptoms. In Holistic Medicine, we focus on treating the whole person – not just their symptoms. This means taking into account all aspects of their life; mental, physical, social and spiritual health – in order to create a foundation for optimal wellness.
Read this blog for more information about holistic healthcare
What are the benefits of holistic healthcare?
You can expect to get better faster with holistic therapies because they address the whole person, including mind, body, and spirit. In holistic medicine, you will be more likely to heal if you address both physical and mental health concerns and attempt to balance your diet with natural nutrients.
Some of the main benefits of holistic healthcare include:
More effective treatment: By integrating various modalities, holistic healthcare practitioners are able to offer an interdependent approach to healing. This allows them to address the complexities of human health and restore balance and harmony to the body.
Stress reduction: The mind-body connection is well-documented, and holistic therapies are designed to help address stress levels in a healthy way.
Improved sleep: Often a barrier to optimal health, stress and poor-quality sleep negatively impacts a growing number of people. By integrating various therapies, practitioners are able to address these issues in a holistic way, ensuring you get the sleep you need to be at your best.
Alleviation of common conditions: Some of the most common conditions in the world, including anxiety, depression, and autoimmune conditions can be alleviated by adopting a holistic approach.
Types of Holistic Healthcare
Mind-Body: Mind-Body medicine is a holistic approach to healing based on the idea that the mind, body, and spirit are interconnected. Mind-Body practitioners use techniques such as mindfulness to improve mood, reduce stress, and improve sleep.
Natural Medicine: Natural medicine practitioners aim to use food, herbs, and other compounds that are found in nature to treat diseases. These practitioners are often trained in conventional medical practices and may offer a blend of conventional and holistic therapies.
Energy Medicine: Energy medicine works with the body’s energy system, which includes the meridian system, acupressure points, and chakras. Energy medicine practitioners are often trained in Eastern traditions, and can be found in holistic health centers, or as part of integrative medicine practices.
Mindfulness: Mindfulness has become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks in part to programs like Headspace. This approach to holistic healthcare aims to improve mental health by cultivating mindfulness, and helping people live in the present moment.
Transpersonal Psychology: Transpersonal psychology is a type of psychological approach that focuses on spiritual growth and higher purpose. It can be seen in holistic health centers, and some alternative medicine practices.
Energy Medicine: Another form of holistic healthcare that focuses on the body’s energy system is called energy medicine. Natural medicine, mind-body, and energy medicine practitioners often work together.
What does a holistic healthcare practitioner do?
Like conventional healthcare practitioners, holistic healthcare practitioners use a range of different therapies to heal and restore balance in their clients. Some of the most common holistic healthcare therapies include:
- Nutrition – A key part of holistic healthcare, nutrition is the process of consuming food and drink to provide energy and maintain good health.
- Exercise – Regular exercise is important for reducing stress, improving sleep, and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Herbal Remedies – Herbal remedies are commonly used in holistic healthcare and can be found in natural health stores or online.
- Meditation – Some holistic healthcare practitioners use Mindfulness-based approaches to help people cultivate mindfulness. This can improve focus, reduce stress, and increase happiness.
- Counseling – Counseling can be a part of holistic healthcare, or part of a psychological approach commonly used in integrative practices.
- Psychotherapy – Psychotherapy is a type of counseling that is often used in integrative practices. It addresses the whole person, including mind, body and spirit.
Research indicates the benefit of Holistic Healthcare
Research indicates that people who adopt a holistic approach to healthcare are happier, healthier and live longer.
A systematic review of the available research found that people who adopt a holistic approach to healthcare are more satisfied with their healthcare experience, and report better outcomes. There is also evidence that shows adopting a holistic approach to healthcare can improve treatment outcomes for a range of health concerns.
The most common benefits associated with adopting a holistic approach to healthcare include:
- More effective treatment – By integrating various modalities, holistic healthcare practitioners are able to offer an interdependent approach to healing. This allows them to address the complexities of human health and restore balance and harmony to the body.
- Stress reduction – The mind-body connection is well-documented, and holistic therapies are designed to help address stress levels in a healthy way.
- Improved sleep – Often a barrier to optimal health, stress and poor-quality sleep negatively impact a growing number of people. By integrating various therapies, practitioners are able to address these issues in a holistic way, ensuring you get the sleep you need to be at your best.
- Alleviation of common conditions – Some of the most common conditions in the world, including anxiety, depression, and autoimmune conditions can be alleviated by adopting a holistic approach.
- Happiness – People who report that they are happier and less stressed tend to report better health outcomes.
- Reduced mortality – Dying with less stress is associated with a reduced risk of mortality.
- Greater well-being – Adopting a holistic approach is associated with a greater sense of well-being and satisfaction with life.
- Longer life – Those who report better health outcomes tend to report that they live longer.
At the end of the day, it’s all about your health. If you’re not feeling well or your health isn’t where you want it to be, then you should consider taking steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Whether you decide to visit a conventional doctor, or you choose to pursue a more holistic approach to your healthcare, it is important to remember that both types of practitioners can help to restore balance in your life.
Breakzen make it easy now to learn more and connect directly with Holistic healers nearby you.
Matias Amaya is the CEO and founder of Breakzen, a wellness community that connects people with nearby professionals. Matias created Breakzen in 2022 after struggling to find good wellness professionals near his home in New York. He knew there had to be a better way for people to find the wellness services they need, so he created the Breakzen app, which is now available across the United States.